Aloha guys, the visa specialist of WOOK Talent, Anatole is here!
Today let's talk about the topic TEFL/TESOL certification with the perspective of employment.
We spend money on education, in order to get better remuneration.
This article is in order to inform you, what are the necessary features when you choose a TEFL/TESOL school, and what are its unnecessary features which you might avoid to save you thousands of dollars and months of time.
Teaching English Overseas has been a trend for a long time, on the market, thousands of TEFL/TESOL schools are there, with the different prices of course and lead time to get the certification.
TEFL, with the full name Teaching English as a Foreign Language.
TESOL, with the full name Teaching English as a Second Language.
If the major of your Bachelor's degree is not relative to education or language, or you don't have a national teaching certification. TEFL and TESOL certification will be the cheapest and quickest way for you to guarantee you the work visa.
The TEFL and TESOL certification does help you get a basic theory for teaching and help you to get a better position.
But in real practice, the employers care much more about your personality and teaching experience rather than your TEFL certification. For employers and schools, the biggest sense of the TEFL/TESOL certification is to apply for the work permit for you.
TEFL and TESOL certifications, sometimes, it could also be a nightmare for teachers.
- Firstly, the prices vary a lot, there are online programs that cost less than 100 USD, there are also offline programs given by the universities which cost more than 1000 USD.
- Secondly, one common mistake which teachers make often. When you spent more than 300 USD and 2 months to get one the TEFL/TESOL certification, signed a contract with a good school(employer), but during the work visa process, you found out it's impossible to legalize this online certification, because the certification comes from a different country and the foreign ministry or secretary of the states of your country refuse to legalize it. Then, 300 USD and 2 months wasted, and your employer may terminate the contract because you can't arrive on time!
- Thirdly, the worst scenario, the department who issue the work visa for you in your destination country, reject your TEFL or TESOL certification, because the content on your certification doesn't accord with the local policy of work permit.
Your TEFL/TESOL school won't care about those points, because their main responsibilities are to pass knowledge to you, instead of making sure you can get a work visa with their certifications.
But as recruiters, we do care!
When you choose the TEFL/TESOL programs, here are the necessary features of the program you need to know before starting:
1. The TEFL/TESOL school, no matter online or offline, must be accredited in your country.
As the second point mentioned above, lots of candidates from the US and Canada did a TEFL certification only accredited in the UK, the secretary of the states refuse to legalize it.
But there is one exception for the Irish citizens, the foreign ministry of the Republic of Ireland refuses to legalize any online certification. Even a certification from an Irish TEFL school, tefl.ie, the foreign ministry still refuse to legalize it. Under this circumstance, the best way for Irish candidates is to find a TEFL/TESOL program in the UK and legalize it by the British foreign ministry (FCO).
2. The TEFL/TESOL certification need to be at least 120 hours
Well, it's the policy.
3. The TEFL/TESOL school is "experienced" enough to not put the word "online" on the certification paper, even though it's an online course.
Well, it's a kinda unwritten rule of the department who issue the work permit for you.
As long as the TEFL/TESOL program meets those three requirements, you could choose the less expensive program. As mentioned before, the employers/schools care more about your personality and teaching experience rather than the name of your TEFL/TESOL program, since they couldn't really recognize which TEFL/TESOL program will be better.
Here is some TEFL/TESOL schools list where our candidates get certifications often.
(Doesn't mean you are going to choose one of them, the 3 features are the keys to choose your own TEFL/TESOL program)
For US/CA citizens:
1. Bridge Edu
Price of online 120 hours TEFL course: 390 USD
2. International TEFL Academy
Price of online 120 hours TEFL course: 1299 USD (well, it's a bit too expensive)
3. ITTT TEFL
Price of online 120 hours TEFL course: 239 USD
4. The TEFL Academy
Price of online 120 hours TEFL course: 265 USD
Price of online 120 hours TEFL course: 275 USD
For UK/Ireland Citizen
Price of online 120 hours: 319 GBP
Price of online 120 hours: 89 GBP
Hope the information in this article could help you make a better choice while choosing the TEFL schools.
if you have made your decision for teaching overseas, welcome to apply on our website then!